We are a confessional, Lutheran church affiliated with the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS). We believe that the Bible is the true, inspired Word of God. We believe we are saved through the perfect life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ alone. We are saved purely by the grace of God, not because it was earned or deserved with our own works.
As men, women, and children of Woodlawn Lutheran Church and School, we teach and confess the following:
- We confess the Trinity - God exists in three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) but only one God, as the Bible clearly teaches.
- That the Bible is the true, inerrant, and infallible word of God that has the power to save sinful man from spiritual death.
- That Jesus Christ is the true Son of God, conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. By his perfect life and perfect suffering, death and resurrection, Jesus has won salvation for all mankind.
- We believe that this salvation man receives only through faith in what Jesus has done.
- Faith is a gift of God as well.
- Faith only comes through the Word of God.
- We also teach that a person who believes in Jesus as his savior will bring forth fruits of faith, that is good works. He or she will make their whole life (at church, home, work, or school) a thank offering to God for the salvation that they have received in Christ Jesus.
- We believe and teach infant baptism and the Lord's Supper (Holy Communion)are more than just signs or pledges of our faith, but that they also forgive sins, create faith (Baptism), and sustain us in our faith (Holy Communion).
These are the core beliefs of our church. We do ask that all new members to the congregation go through our Bible Information Course, "Communicating Christ", which teaches all interested in membership what we teach and believe.
We are an "evangelical" or "Gospel-preaching" church. We encourage our members to come and hear the sweet truth of salvation regularly in worship and Bible class. It is also our goal to seize every opportunity the Lord provides to spread the message of that truth to lost souls in our community. If there are any specific questions that you might have, please contact the pastoral staff of the church.